Swedish extreme metallers NECROPHOBIC will release their eighth studio album, "Mark Of The Necrogram", on February 23 via Century Media Records. The disc is NECROPHOBIC's first for Century Media and it marks another step up on the staircase to the death metal throne, delivering sorrow-laden melodies of musical mastermind Sebastian Ramstedt, furious riffs of rhythm guitarist Johan Bergebäck, the pounding bass of Alexander Friberg, battering war drums by the band's heart and soul Joakim Sterner and the demonic voice of Anders Strokirk, who reunited with the band more than 20 years after the release of "The Nocturnal Silence".
"Mark Of The Necrogram" comes with an eerily monumental cover artwork of Kristian "Necrolord" Wåhlin, with whom the band has been working together since the release of the second album, "Darkside".
"Mark Of The Necrogram" will be available as standard jewel case CD; deluxe LP (with gatefold sleeve, double-sided poster, four-page LP insert and 180-gram vinyl); deluxe CD box set (with CD digipak, five photo cards, a woven patch and a Necrogram metal pendant) and digitally.
Second full-length from this Finnish black metal band now available on 12'' vinyl. Limited edition of 150 black copies with a high-quality glossy sleeve and two-sided lyric insert. Mixed and mastered at Trollhouse Audio.
Poland-based extreme metal/hardcore punk band VOIDHANGER has enetered Agonia Records roster, with plans to release a new studio album "Dark Days Of The Soul" on March 2nd. Cover artwork designed by Mentalporn (Behemoth, Origin, Blaze Of Perdition).
Gia Thanatos has been on-hold for most of 2017. My day to day life became more and more complex, and I have been left with less (or almost no) free time to find the inspiration and concentrate on writing reviews (not to say what it would mean trying to write some interesting questions for a band interview). However, this doesn't mean I haven't been following the music underground, buying records and listening to them as I've been doing for the last 20 years. I'm actually not sure I would (mentally) survive if I couldn't dedicate some of everyday's time to blow my mind with some intense music.
And the fact is that this past year has delivered a good bunch of very interesting recordings. Maybe not so many new/surprising/original records in comparison to previous year, which can be guessed having a look at the list below and seeing that most mentions are for bands who have been around for a while. Like Anatomia (which are still growing on their sound after a lot of releases and showing how Death Metal is not dead yet despite some desiring it), Aosoth, calling it quits with their fifth album and still being one of the top modern Black Metal bands of the last decade, the unstoppable Clandestine Blaze force and their bulldozing last record or Fleshpress, who after a somewhat weak album with 'Acid Mouth Strangulation' have done an amazing job with their last two releases. But there's still some honourable mentions on the newbies side, like could be Krolok and their creepy Transylvanian melodies, Expander and their futuristis blend of Metal and Hardcore Punk, the un-clichéd and fresh sounding Power Electronics of Am Not or Transhunter, with a colossal debut that I still struggle to classify and maybe should have been on the extreme Metal side of my list (or maybe not?).
As it happens every year, when closing this list of top recordings, I've had to skip a few that I'm sure would have ended on it, but which I haven't had the time to listen properly yet or they were simply released just before closing the year. Obvious examples are the new Abigor and Lugubrum records, but also the ones from Godflesh, Hades Archer or Procession.
In terms of re-releases, it hasn't been a weak year neither. Not only because Earache Records has released some of the missing FDR vinyls of their classics (I can't believe I finally have the second and third Morbid Angel albums on vinyl!), but specially because of the Master's Hammer fantastic double LP's at 45rpm and the second re-release of the Tormentor vinyl editions (as I has missed the first). Not to forget the possibility to get Unholy's first two albums on vinyl for the first time thanks to Peaceville Records and to give another step in the completion of my Corrupted and Noothgrush collections with their split LP being available now through 20 Buck Spin.
At the same time, the switch to 2018 doesn't look bad at all, expectations are quite high when one looks at the list of releases that are (more or less) confirmed. Starting by the return of Rites of Thy Degringolade (after a promising demo), Mare's first full-length, Cosmic Church's final album, Grave Upheaval's sophomore, rumours of a new Mitochondrion record, Chaos Echoes, Vomitor, Koufar, Ascension, Tribulation, Satan's Satyrs ...
And, just to close this long rant, just wanted ot let you know that the new year will also bring me back (or at least trying) over the reviewing duties and posting some news as frequently as I can.
Have a very good 2018 and thanks for visiting Gia Thanatos.
1. Anatomia - Cranial Obssession (Nuclear War Now! Productions)
2. Clandestine Blaze - City Of Slaughter (Northern Heritage)
3. Malokarpatan - Nordkarpatenland (Invictus Productions)
4. The Ruins of Beverast - Exuvia (Van Records)
5. Spectral Voice - (Dark Descent Records)
6. Wulkanaz - Paralys (Helter Skelter Productions)
7. Heresiarch - Death Ordinance (Dark Descent Records)
8. Loss - Horizonless (Profound Lore Records)
9. Krolok - Flying Above Ancient Ruins (Hexencave Productions)
10. Acid Witch - Evil Sound Screamers (Hells Headbangers Records)
11. Aosoth - V: The Inside Scriptures (Agonia Records)
12. Rebirth of Nefast - Tabernaculum (Norma Evangelium Diaboli)
13. Undergang - Misantropologi (Me Saco Un Ojo)
14. Expander - Endless Computer (Nuclear War Now! Productions)
15. Vesicant - Shadows of Cleansing Iron (Iron Bonehead Productions)
16. Circle of Ouroborous - Ruumistähdet (Kuunpalvelus)
17. Phrenelith - Desolate Endscape (Me Saco Un Ojo)
18. Perverted Ceremony - Sabbat Of Behezaël (Nuclear War Now! Productions)
19. Execration - Return to the Void (Metal Blade Records)
20. Whoredom Rife - Dommedagskvad (Terratur Possessions)
21. Tchornobog - Tchornobog (Fallen Empire Records)
22. Lluvia - Enigma (Amor Fati Productions)
23. Gnipahålan - Gnipahålan (Purity Through Fire)
24. Nexul - Paradigm of Chaos (Hells Headbangers)
25. Mosaic - Old Man's Wyntar Special Edition (Eisenwald)
1. Am Not - The Developing World (Tesco)
2. Trepaneringsritualen - Kainskult (Tesco)
3. Tau Cross - Pillar of Fire (Relapse Records)
4. Enslaved - E (Nuclear Blast Records)
5. No Faith - Forced Subservience (Iron Lung Records)
6. Integrity - Howling, for the Nightmare Shall Consume (Relapse Records)
7. Fleshpress - Hulluuden Muuri (Rusty Crowbar Records)
8. The Body and Full of Hell - Ascending a Mountain of Heavy Light (Thrill Jockey)
9. Transhunter - Transhunter (Fuck Yoga Productions)
10. Full of hell - Trumpeting Ecstasy (Profound Lore Records)
11. Atlantean Kodex - The Annihilation of Bavaria (Ván Records)
12. Foreseen- Grave Danger (Svart Records)
13. Brainbombs - Inferno (Skrammel Records)
14. Stimulant - Stimulant (Nerve Altar)
15. Grave Pleasures - Motherblood (Svart Records)
16. Kohti Tuhoa — Pelon Neljäs Valtakunta (Svart Records)
17. Goli Deca - Mania (Fuck Yoga Productions)
18. Χαοτικό Τέλος – Υπόσχεση (Chaotic End Records)
19. Ianva - Canone Europeo (Antica Fonografia Il Levriero)
20. Napalm Raid - Wheel of War (Rawmantic Disasters)
1. Master's Hammer - Ritual + Jilemnický Okultista 2xLP's (Brutal Assault)
2. Tormentor - The Seventh Day of Doom + Anno Domini 2xLP's (Saturnus Productions)
3. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick + Covenant FDR LP (Earache Records)
4. Unholy - From the Shadows + The Second Ring of Power 2xLP's (Peaceville Records)
5. Bolt Thrower - The Fourth Crusade FDR LP (Earache Records)
6. Corrupted/Noothgrush - Split LP (20 Buck Spin Records)
7. Revenant - Prophecies of a Dying World 2xLP (Cosmic Key Creations)
8. Miasma - Changes LP (Rotten Relics Records)
9. Fatal - Soul Burning Still - A Fatal Retrospective 2xLP (Hammerheart Records)
10. Pentacle - The Fifth Moon LP (New Era Productions)
Gia Thanatos is a webzine dedicated to music for the apocalyptic times. No matter the scene or genre it comes from, and mainly chosen according to its author's taste.